Situated in Lubny - 180 kilometres east of the Ukrainian capital Kiev - is a memorial to the Jewish victims murdered by members of Einsatzgruppe C (mobile killing squad) in the autumn of 1941. The memorial was dedicated by the Jewish community of Lubny in 2001.
In 1939, there were about 5,300 Jews living in Lubny. Most of them were able to flee before the invasion of the German Wehrmacht in September 1941. In October 1941, the local German Kommandantur ordered the Jews from Lubny and the surrounding areas to gather on October 16 at nine in the morning. The Jews were told - under the pretext of an upcoming »resettlement« - to bring supplies and warm clothes for three days. From the collecting point the Germans chased the Jews out of town. Upon reaching a closed off field on the town's outskirts, the Jews were forced to leave their luggage and undress. They were then taken to the shooting site in groups and shot by members of SS Sonderkommando 4a (SS mobile killing unit). The Sonderkommando 4a later reported the murder of over 1,800 Jews. The valuables and property that was left behind was confiscated by the local German Kommandantur.
Over 1,800 Jewish children, women and men from Lubny and surrounding areas were shot by SS Sonderkommando 4a (SS mobile killing unit).
In 1953, a memorial plaque was installed at the site of the shootings. In 2001, the Jewish community of Lubny dedicated a memorial.
- Pamjatnik shertwam holokostu na okolyzi Luben
Bul. Shevchenka, budinok 2/2
- +380 (0) 536 171 061
- The memorial is accessible at all times.