• Memorial Plaque to the Victims of the Sered’ Forced Labour and Concentration Camp
Located at the site of the former forced labour and transit camp Sered’ is a memorial to the Jewish inmates of the camp.
Image: Sered’, between 1941 and 1945, View of the camp, Yad Vashem
Sered’, between 1941 and 1945, View of the camp, Yad Vashem

Image: Sered’, 2004, Memorial plaque to the victims of the forced labour and concentration camp, Stiftung Denkmal
Sered’, 2004, Memorial plaque to the victims of the forced labour and concentration camp, Stiftung Denkmal
Between 1941 and 1945, located in the small town of Sered’, 60 km to the east of Bratislava, was one of the three large forced labour camps for Jews established in Slovakia - a close ally of the German Reich. It was set up on the premises of army barracks after the Slovak government had introduced a system of forced labour for Jews. The camp was guarded by members of the Hlinka Guard. From the spring of 1942 on, when the Slovak authorities began mass deportations, the camp was primarily used as a transit camp. About 4,500 Jews were deported from Sered’ to occupied Poland in a total of five transports.
The deportations were halted temporarily in 1942, resulting in a consolidation of camp life at Sered’. Towards the end of 1943, about 1,300 people were incarcerated at the camp and deployed in producing goods both for state institutions and for the consumer market. Leisure activities and cultural events were permitted; at the same time, a resistance movement began to form. When the Slovak National Uprising was launched in August 1944, many prisoners were able to flee from the camp and join forces with the insurgents in central Slovakia.
After the uprising was suppressed and western Slovakia occupied by German troops, the SS again used Sered’ as a transit camp. Mainly Jews who had been arrested by the SS Einsatzkommando 14 (mobile killing squad) in Bratislava and vicinity were brought to Sered’. Until March 1945, 13,500 Jews were deported from Sered’, the primary destinations being Auschwitz and Theresienstadt. The Red Army liberated the camp on April 1, 1945.
Image: Sered’, between 1941 and 1945, View of the camp, Yad Vashem
Sered’, between 1941 and 1945, View of the camp, Yad Vashem

Image: Sered’, 2004, Memorial plaque to the victims of the forced labour and concentration camp, Stiftung Denkmal
Sered’, 2004, Memorial plaque to the victims of the forced labour and concentration camp, Stiftung Denkmal
4,500 Jews were deported from Sered’ in 1942, and a further 13,500 were deported between 1944 and 1945. Only few survived.
Image: Sered’, 1942, Prisoner in the camp's woodwork, Múzeum SNP
Sered’, 1942, Prisoner in the camp's woodwork, Múzeum SNP

Image: Sered’, between 1941 and 1945, View of the camp, Yad Vashem
Sered’, between 1941 and 1945, View of the camp, Yad Vashem
Today, located on the former camp premises are barracks of the Slovak army. A monument commemorating the camp and the fate of its inmates was set up at the entrance to the barracks in 1998. There are plans to entrust the Bratislava Museum of Jewish Culture with the five remaining former camp barracks so that a museum on the Holocaust can be set up at the authentic site.
Name
Pamätník pro obetí pracovného a koncentračního tábora Sered
Address
Kasárenská ulica
92601 Sered'
Phone
+421 2 59 34 91 42
Fax
+421 2 59 34 91 45
Web
http://www.muzeum.sk/?obj=muzeum&ix=mzk_snm
E-Mail
mzk@snm.sk
Open
The memorial plaque is accessible at all times.